Marriage is not a joke field or a night of a thousand laughters but a home where a real man handles a real woman with lots of wisdoms, patience, tolerance and lots of other virtues that make a person fit to marry. For this reason, we decided to gather some quotes about marriage hoping that they might to some extent help reshape some marriages that are already breaking down.
We hope that you may be able to make a very good usefulness from these quotes so that your marriage will through strong hope from us finds another meaning that will be of great benefit to you.
You may also like to read our previous articles: 200 common and powerful english proverbs for students or powerful and lovely mother’s day quotes.
1. “One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.”–Oscar Wilde
2. “A woman’s love is like the morning dew; it’s as apt to fall on a horseturd as it is on a rose . . . .”–Larry McMurtry
3. “A person is already halfway in love with anyone who listens.” –Bredan Francis
4. “We don’t believe in true love or rheumatism until after the first attack.” –Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
5. “People who fall in love with themselves have no rivals.” –Anon.
6. “Money can’t buy love, but it improves your bargaining position.” –Christopher Marlowe
7. “I think a love relationship is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies.” –Woody Allen
8. “The only people who make love all the time are liars.” –Louis Jourdan.
9. “Only two groups of people fall for flattery in love – men and women.” –Anon.
10. “It is possible that blonds also prefer gentlemen.” –Mamie Van Doren
Some Marriage Quotes Sayings For Couples
11. “It is useless to try to hold some people to anything they say while they are madly in love, drunk, orrunning for office.” –Anon.
12. “A woman has got to love a bad man once or twice in her life to be thankful for a good one.” –Marjorie Kinnan Rawlins
13. “Macho does not prove mucho.” –Zsa Zsa Gabor
14. “Love is like the measles; we all have to go through it.” –Jerome K. Jerome
15. “Many a man in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole woman.” Stephen Leacok
16. “Love requires respect and friendship as well as passion, because there comes a time when you have to get out of bed.” –Erica Jong
17. “There’s one consolation about matrimony. When you look around, you can always see somebody who did worse.” –Warren H. Goldsmith
18. “Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.” –Phyllis Diller
19. “The person who marries for money usually earns every penny of it.” –Anon.
20. “The most difficult years of marriage are those following the wedding.” –Anon.
Powerful and Important Marriage Quotes
21. “Marriage is like twirling a baton, turning hand springs, or eating with chopsticks. It looks easy ‘till you try it.” –Anon.
22. “A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married.” –H. L. Mencke
23. “Marriage is a feast where the grace is sometimes better than the dinner.” –Charles Caleb Colton
24. “Someone once described marriage to me as . . . One year in Heaven and 20 years in the Light—Heavyweight Division.” –Dan Jenkins
25. “Great marriages are made in heaven – but so are thunder and lightning.” –Dee Compere
26. “Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up.” –Joseph Barth
27. “A happy marriage is not a gift; it’s an achievement.” –Ann Landers
28. “Husbands are like fires; they go out when unattended.” –Zsa Zsa Gabor
29. “Here’s to matrimony – the high sea for which no compass has yet been invented.” –Heinrich Heine
30. “Love is blind; marriage opens its eyes.” –Anon.
31. “If you want to read about love and marriage, you’ve got to buy separate books.” –Alan King
32. “Women have a lot of courage; otherwise, none would ever get married.” –Gladiola Montana
33. “If there is any realistic deterrent to marriage, it’s the fact that you can’t afford divorce.” –Jack Nicholson
34. “Changing spouses is only changing troubles.” –Kathleen Norris
35. “Alimony is like buying oats for a dead horse.” –Arthur Baer
36. “When a person steals your spouse there is no better revenge than to let that person keep your spouse.” –Sacha Guitry
37. “A good wife always forgives her husband when she’s wrong.” – Milton Berle
38. “Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage . . . .” – Shakespeare, Twelfth Night 1.18-19 (Festes the clown to Maria)
39. “Marriage is the only adventure open to the cowardly.” – Voltaire
40. “Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage.” – Ambrose Bierce
Inspirational Marriage Quotes For Husband and Wife
41. “There’s only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is, I’ll get married again.” Clint Eastwood
42. “Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?” – Groucho Marx
43. “The reason that divorce is so expensive is because it’s worth it.” –Anon.
44. “Marriage – the sole cause of divorce.” –Dr. Laurence J. Peter
45. “When it comes to broken marriages, most spouses will split the blame – half their spouses fault, and half their spouse’s relatives’ fault.” –Anon.
46. “Alimony is the cash surrender value of your ex-spouse.” –Anon. Divorce Lawyer
47. “Being divorced is like being hit by a Mack truck. If you live through it, you start looking to the right and to the left.” –Jean Kerr
48. “My divorce came as a complete surprise to me. That will happen when you haven’t been home in 18 years.” –Lee Trevino
49. “Divorce is defeat . . . it’s an adult failure.” –Lucille Ball
50. “You git what you git and that’s all you git.” –Anon. Cowboy
51. “One of the most honest divorce reasons I ever heard was ‘She suits me fine, your Honor, but I can’t afford her.’” –Will Rogers
52. “By all means marry: If you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” – Socrates
53. “Marriage, n. The state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a mistress, and two slaves, making in all, two.” – Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil’s Dictionary
54. “A good marriage is like a casserole, only those responsible for it really know what goes in it.” – Anonymous
55. “To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup, whenever you’re wrong, admit it; whenever you’re right, shut up.” – Ogden Nash
56. “You don’t marry someone you can live with; you marry someone you can’t live without.” – Anonymous
57. “Marriage has no guarantees. If that’s what you’re looking for, go live with a car battery.” – Erma Bombeck
58. “Matrimony is a process by which a grocer acquired an account the florist had.” – Francis Rodman
59. “The great secret of successful marriage is to treat all disasters as incidents and none of the incidents as disasters.” – Harold Nicholson
60. “My wife and I tried to breakfast together, but we had to stop or our marriage would have been wrecked.” – Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
World’s Famous Quotes About Marriage
61. “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.”– John Steinbeck
62. “Marriage was designed for men who went to sea at 25 and women who died in childbirth.”– Thomas Detre.
63. “Nothing anybody tells you about marriage helps.”– Max Siegel
64. The length of any marriage is inversely proportional to the time and effort required in drafting the prenuptial agreement.”– Kirby Wells, Esq.
65. Observations on love, marriage and divorce (Texas delegation, Council of Community Property States
66. “Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in a light so dim he would not have chosen a suit by it.” –Maurice Chevalier
67. “The average woman would rather have beauty than brains because she knows that the average man can see much better than he can think.” –Ladies Home Journal
68. “The first duty of love is to listen.” –Paul Tillick
69. “The best proof of love is trust.” –Dr. Joyce Brothers
70. “A woman’s heart is like a campfire; if you don’t tend to it regularly, you’ll soon lose it.” –Texas Bix Bende
71. “Many go broke on the money their spouses save on sales.” –Anon.
72. “There are two times a man does not understand a woman – before marriage and after marriage.” –Anon.
73. “In Hollywood, all marriages are happy. It’s trying to live together afterwards that causes the problems.” –Shelly Winters
74. “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.” –Benjamin Franklin
75. “A diplomatic spouse said: ‘How do you expect me to remember your birthday when you never look any older?’” –Anon.
76. “It takes a smart spouse to have the last word and not use it.” –Anon.
77. “The most popular labor-saving device today is a spouse with money.” –Joey Adams
78. “A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.” –Michel de Montaigne
79. “Marriage is the price men pay for sex; sex is the price women pay for marriage.” –Anon.
80. “A good marriage develops not only by marrying the right person, but also by being the right partner” – Anonymous
Motivational Quotes About Marriage
81. “A good marriage is at least 80 percent good luck in finding the right person at the right time. The rest is trust.” – Nanette Newman, British Actress
82. “People shop for a bathing suit with more care than they do a husband or wife. The rules are the same. Look for something you’ll feel comfortable wearing. Allow for room to grow.” – Erma Bombeckn
83. “If people acted after marriage as they do during courtship, there would be fewer divorces – and more bankruptcies.” –Frances Rodman “A fool and his money are soon married.” –Gladiola Montana
84. “Some spouses are living proof that the other spouse can take a joke.” –Anon.
85. “You only have to mumble a few words in church to get married, and a few words in your sleep to get divorced.” –Anon.
86. “Marriage is neither heaven nor hell; it is simply purgatory.” –Abraham Lincoln “It destroys one’s nerves to be amicable every day to the same human being.” –Disraeli “Marriage is like a lottery, but you can’t tear up your ticket if you lose.” –F.M. Knowles
87. “It is easier to die for a woman one loves than to live with her.” –Lord Byron
88. “Marriage is a great institution, but I’m not ready for an institution yet.” –May West
89. “Marriage is a good deal like taking a bath – not so hot once you get accustomed to it.” –Dr. Laurence J. Peter
90. “Marriage is a lot like the Army – everyone complains, but you’d be surprised at the large number that re-enlist.” –James Garner
91. “People stay married because they want to, not because the doors are locked.” – Paul Newman (1925-) from the film ‘Winning’
92. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Germaine Greer